My family took me out for my birthday to Yardbird Southern Table & Bar for brunch. Except brunch is only on Saturdays and Sundays and we went on a Friday. LOL
Of course, great company makes up for just about anything and we did enjoy some things off the menu. Their fried chicken and biscuits are delicious, but something truly unique that caught our eyes and palettes was their chilled watermelon.
The watermelon they serve is zesty, spicy, and refreshing and I adapted the recipe with ingredients I had at home to enjoy it some more.
- Fresh Watermelon
- Cayenne Pepper
- Fresh Parsley finely chopped
Slice up some fresh watermelon, squeeze lemon juice on it, and sprinkle cayenne pepper and parsley on top to enjoy this whimsical taste sensation!
*The chilled watermelon from Yardbird was with mint instead of parsley which was equally tasty and you may also try cilantro as a substitute.
All the ingredients combined provide a great source of vitamin A and C, but some of the more interesting benefits of all the ingredients include:
- Flush out excess fluid from the body to reduce bloating and encourage kidney health
- Promote healthy blood cells and circulation, which helps with conditions such as anemia and high blood pressure
- Soothe the nervous system to aid in reducing pain and inflammation. Studies have shown that vitamin B6, found in watermelons, reduces symptoms of PMS (a winner in my book)
- Improve digestion. Cayenne pepper helps stimulate the natural movement of the intestines to digest food more efficiently
Would you be enjoying this tasty treat this summer?