Happy New Year!! Hope everyone had a fun, joyous, and safe holiday season! I took an impromptu blog vacation and it left me surprisingly refreshed.
Writing, reading, and sharing is therapeutic for me, but it is also time consuming. Taking some time off from blogging allowed me the opportunity to complete the December challenge of creating a themed party, a few DIYs, some yummy recipes, and to spend some quality time with loved ones.
Throughout the month of January I will be sharing all the things that were created in December’s challenge along with taking part in a new challenge…
Renew and Do You
Taking some time off reminded me of the importance of taking care of our own emotional and mental health.
Most of what I do is for others and it often led me to desire to make peace with everyone and keep everyone happy. Although it sounds honorable, it is not a very healthy position to be in because no matter what we do, we can’t possibly please every single person. Also, there are people that despite your efforts to make peace are not willing to do the same in return.
I quickly became burned out and experienced depression and a lack of motivation and desire for anything. Taking a break from the regular routine brought me back to what I believe to be a healthy hierarchy of needs:
- God/Faith: First, we need to know our value in God’s eyes as His fearfully and wonderfully made creation.
- Self: Once we are aware of our self worth and practice self-love despite our imperfections, we are able to understand, accept, and genuinely love others.
- Family/Loved Ones: We are social beings and it is essential for us to have loving and supportive relationships to survive in this world. Even if it is just one person, make sure to cherish and tend to the relationship.
- Job/Careers: Jobs/Careers are important financially, but they are also a platform to use our skills and talents and provide personal growth.
- Ministry/World/Others: If the latter is in order, we are in the best position to give to others because we will know how to use our gifts and talents to make a positive impact and we will have a greater sense of the value of humanity.
I have often placed number two (myself) farther down the list so this month I plan to take part in at least one thing for myself every day. The following are some examples:
- My own personal meditation/prayer time
- Soaking in the tub
- Doing a face or hair mask
- Going for a walk or leisurely bike ride
- Listen to music
- Take a nap
- Light stretching
- Watch a funny show or video
There are many resolutions that are being made and most of them require a lot of hustle and bustle so I encourage each of you to take part in this challenge to unwind each day to be renewed and go towards your goals with more fervor.
Tell me how you will Do You…